- You cannot add "Mau Moko: The World of Maori Tattoo (Softcover)" to the cart because the product is out of stock.
Out of stock
- 400 pages
- 12.4 x 9.6 inches (large format)
- 7.2 pounds or 3.2 kilos
- Illustrated with more than 420 color images
- First book to examine both the rich cultural and spiritual history of ethnic tattoos and scarification in vivid ethnographic detail
- Designs from around the indigenous world offer body modification enthusiasts many new ideas
- Fully referenced
- Hard Cover Bound
- ISBN 9783943105117
- Edition Reuss Publishers
- USA orders ONLY or contact me for international shipments
- $7.99 Flat Rate Shipping per book (*NOTE: if your total purchase is more than $95.00 shipping will auto increase to $14.98)
- **If you would like a signed copy, please make a note in PayPal or email me ASAP! I ship quickly!
WATCH THIS VIDEO TO HEAR LARS SPEAK ABOUT HIS BOOK MAGICAL TATTOOS & SCARIFICATION:
Spiritual Skin: MAGICAL TATTOOS AND SCARIFICATION. Wisdom. Healing. Shamanic Power. Protection is a photographic masterwork in two parts exploring the secret world of magical tattooing and scarification across the tribal world. Based on one decade of tattoo anthropologist Dr. Lars Krutak’s fieldwork among animistic and shamanic societies of Asia, Africa, the Americas, and Melanesia, Spiritual Skin: MAGICAL TATTOOS AND SCARIFICATION journeys into highly sacred territory to reveal how people utilize ritual body modification to enhance their access to the supernatural.
The first part delves into the ancient art of Thai tattooing or sak yan that is administered by holy monks who harness the energy and power of the Buddha himself. Emblazoned with numerous images of dramatically tattooed bodies, this chapter provides tattoo enthusiasts with a passport into the esoteric world of sak yan symbols and their meanings. Also included is an in-depth study into the tattooing worlds of the Amerindians. From Woodlands warriors to Amazonian shamans, tattoos were worn as enchanted symbols embodied with tutelary and protective spirit power. The discussion of talismanic tattooing is concluded with a detailed look at the individuals who created magical tattoos and the various techniques they used. Krutak writes about many tribal tattoo designs permeated with various forms of power and explains what these marks mean for the people who wear them. Part two of Spiritual Skin: MAGICAL TATTOOS AND SCARIFICATION is an absolute must-read-and-see for anyone seeking knowledge about the religious meanings of tribal scarification. The rituals, techniques, and spiritual iconography of scarmasters in Benin (Bétamarribé), Papua New Guinea (Kaningara), and Ethiopia (Hamar) expose a relatively undocumented world of permanent body symbolism created through painful and bloody rites of self-sacrifice and restraint. Text in English & German.
This book is also available at Amazon.com.